The right motivation

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. ! Corinthians 10:31 ESV

                Dr. R. Albert Mohler often speaks of theological triage as a process of determining the priority, importance, of given issues. It is a good place to start when trying to determine what to do in any given situation.  It is sometimes a messy process, and 1 Corinthians 10 provides such an example. Idolatry is clearly wrong, and cannot ever be in any way right. We might think then that we should take every precaution to avoid partaking in anything related to idolatry, such as eating food offered to idols. But Paul instructs us not even to ask, and only to abstain if the information is volunteered. You see there are some other considerations to be taken into account.

                One consideration which we must always keep in mind whatever we are doing is that of motivation. It is not enough to do right; we must do right for the right reason. To do right for the wrong reason is to do wrong. You see every decision sets and reinforces a principle. That principle is determined more by the reasons behind our actions than by the actions themselves. If I take action to appease a group of people I have bowed to people. If I take action because I gain some advantage I have bowed to self-interest.

                Whatever I am doing I need to be able to show that the reason for it is to glorify God. I might be glorify god by obey His command to love my neighbors and appease them in some matter where I am free to do so. But at the end of the day my action is about God and not men.  This requires more thought, but it is worth the effort. I do not say the value of this effort will be immediately apparent, though sometimes it may be, but in the eternal perspective it is always worth the effort.

Prayer

                Father may all we do be done to for the sake of glory. In this we ask for wisdom, and thank You for the direction of your word. We pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Song

Jesus cast a look on me

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Against work addiction

Up and ahead

Let me tell you something you already know